账号:
密码:
撸书斋 > 其他 > 毕业之后还要上的10堂英语课 > 04 左邻右舍
  04 左邻右舍
  结识新邻
  dialogue
  a new neighbor moves in yesterday. susan decides to visit her today.
  昨天刚搬来一个新邻居。苏珊决定今天去拜访一下。
  susan: hi, i'm your neighbor. my name is susan.
  苏珊:嗨,我是你的邻居,我叫苏珊。
  julie: hi, susan. i'm julie. nice to meet you.
  朱莉:嗨,苏珊。我是朱莉。很高兴见到你。
  susan: nice to meet you, too.
  苏珊:我也非常高兴见到你。
  julie: please come in. i just moved into the neighborhood yesterday.
  朱莉:请进。我昨天刚搬过来的。
  susan: welcome to the neighborhood. i didn't realize that this house was bought so quickly. my last neighbor moved out a short time ago.
  苏珊:欢迎你!我还没意识到这个房子这么快已经被转手了。我的上一个邻居前不久刚搬走。
  julie: i saw the house and just fell in love with it. it was impossible to pass up.
  朱莉:我一看到这个房子就喜欢上了,不容错过。
  susan: i'm living next door, if you need any help or anything, please come to me.
  苏珊:我就住在隔壁,如果你需要任何东西或帮助,都可以来找我。
  julie: that's good. it's so kind of you. by the way, is there any supermarket in our neighborhood?
  朱莉:太好了,你真好。顺便问一下,我们社区里有超市吗?
  susan: of course. there is a large shopping plaza near the neighborhood. i just need to buy something, so we can go together.
  苏珊:当然有了,在我们社区附近有个超大的购物广场。我正好需要买些东西,一块去吧。
  julie: great! let's go.
  朱莉:太棒了!走吧。
  notes
  1. move out 搬出
  2. a short time ago 不久以前
  3. pass up 放过(机会);放弃;拒绝
  4. next door 隔壁;在隔壁
  5. neighborhood [?neib?hud] n. 四邻,街坊;邻近地区,附近
  6. shopping plaza 商场,购物广场
  小贴士
  怎样和喜欢的邻居成为好朋友:
  1. host a party
  举办一个派对
  2. spark up a conversation frequently
  经常主动搭话
  3. organize a block party
  组织一个街区派对
  4. generous in giving help
  乐于助人
  5. do not make loud noise
  不要制造噪音
  6. do not haggle over every ounce
  不要斤斤计较
  邻里矛盾很正常
  dialogue
  jerry's new neighbors often hold a party in their house and often play to the late night.jerry suffers a lot.
  杰瑞的新邻居经常在家里举行聚会,玩到深夜。杰瑞深受其害。
  karl: hey, jerry. how do you get along with your new neighbors recently?
  卡尔:嘿,杰瑞。最近你和新邻居相处得怎么样?
  jerry: don't mention it. they play music really really loud from early in the morning to late at night. last night they had their music turned on so loud that i finally just flipped out and yelled at them.
  杰瑞:别提了。他们从早到晚不停地演奏音乐,简直是吵死了。昨晚他们把声音开得特别大,我简直气疯了,就对他们大吼了起来。
  karl: why can't you talk with them in a placid mood? they probably aren't even aware that they are causing problems to their neighbors.
  卡尔:为什么你不心平气和地和他们谈呢?
  他们可能没意识到打扰到了邻居。
  jerry: i have before. but they didn't care about that. they said they were crazy about music, and that no one could stop them chasing dreams. i really don't like to complain to my neighbor, but it was so loud that my windows were shaking.
  杰瑞:我以前和他们谈过。但是他们不在意。他们说他们酷爱音乐,没有人能阻止他们追求音乐的梦想。我并不想抱怨我的邻居,但实在是太吵了,甚至我家的窗户都在震动。
  karl: i can understand your sufferings.
  卡尔:我能理解你遭受的痛苦。
  jerry: i couldn't sleep with the noise, and i suffer from migraines recently. i really don't know what i should do. if this continues, i have to call the police.
  杰瑞:噪音吵得我睡不着,最近我又偏头痛。我真是黔驴技穷了。如果还这样的话,我只能让警察来解决了。
  notes
  1. turn on 打开,发动;取决于;使兴奋
  2. flip ou 精神错乱,发疯
  3. yell [jel] v. / n. 大叫,大喊
  4. in a placid mood 心平气和
  5. placid ['pl?sid] adj. 平静的,宁静的;温和的
  6. chase [t?eis] v. / n. 追捕;追求;争取;驱逐;狩猎
  7. suffering ['s?f?ri?] n. 痛苦,受难
  8. migraine ['maigrein] n. 偏头疼
  小贴士
  how to get along with the unlovely neighbors?
  home is your sanctuary. how you get along with your neighbors really plays a large part in your health wellbeing and happiness. then how to deal with those unlovely neighbors? if your neighbor often plays music and holds a party until the late night, how to ask him not to? you can bring it up to your neighbors' attention and they will be more than happy to reduce the trouble to you. you could say something like “i'm really a light sleeper or i suffer from migraines. can you help me out by turning down the music during those evening hours?” or you may come up with a compromise that works for both of you.
  怎样和不讨人喜欢的邻居相处?
  家是你的庇护所。和邻居相处得如何对你的健康安宁和幸福起着举足轻重的作用。那么怎样和那些讨人嫌的邻居相处呢?如果你的邻居经常演奏音乐、聚会到很晚,你怎样让他停止呢?你可以把这些问题提出来,引起邻居的注意,他们会乐于尽量减少对你的困扰的。你可以说“我睡觉很容易醒或者我有偏头痛。你能帮帮忙晚上把声音关小点吗?”或者你可以和邻居达成双方都能接受的协议。
  远亲不如近邻
  dialogue
  sue is preparing a birthday party for her husband. her neighbor katherine comes to drop in her.
  苏正在为他的先生准备生日聚会。她的邻居凯瑟琳过来拜访她。
  sue: oh, katherine. please come in. i'm sorry. here is a fearful mess!
  苏:噢,凯瑟琳。请进。很抱歉,这里简直是一团糟。
  katherine: sue, what are you doing now?
  凯瑟琳:苏,你在忙什么呢?
  sue: today is my husband's birthday. i want to give him a surprise, so i must get everything ready before he gets home. i'm sorry for having no time to entertain you.
  苏:今天是我先生的生日。我想给他一个惊喜,所以我必须在他回家之前把一切都准备好。很抱歉没时间招呼你。
  katherine: never mind. what can i do to help you out?
  凯瑟琳:没关系。我能帮你什么吗?
  sue: that's very kind of you. can you give me a hand to pass me those balloons?
  苏:你真是太好了。能帮忙把那些气球递给我吗?
  katherine: no problem. here you are.
  凯瑟琳:没问题。给你。
  sue: thank you. you do me a big favor.
  苏:谢谢你帮了我一个大忙。
  katherine: that was a cake walk. it's nothing to speak of.
  凯瑟琳:小事一桩。不值一提。
  notes
  1. fearful ['fi?f?l] adj.担心的;可怕的;非常的
  2. entertain [?ent?'tein] v. 娱乐,使有兴趣;招待;考虑;抱有;容纳
  3. balloon [b?'lu:n] n. 气球,球状物;v. 使膨胀
  4. a cake walk 很容易的事
  小贴士
  1. water afar can't quench fire, and a good neighbor is better than a brother far off.
  远水难救近火,远亲不如近邻。
  2. neighbors ought to respect one another.
  邻里之间应该互相尊重。
  3. would you like our assistance with a move?
  你需要我们帮忙搬家吗?
  4. could i have a ride to my company?
  我可以搭便车到公司吗?
  5. when my mother fell in a faint in the neighborhood, it's our neighbor who sent her to hospital immediately.
  当母亲在附近晕倒时,是我们的邻居立刻把她送进了医院。
  6. we should live in peace and keep fair with our neighbors.
  我们应该同邻居和睦相处,保持友好关系。
  7. love your neighbors as yourself.
  爱邻居犹如爱自己。
  好借好还
  dialogue
  tom's mower is out of work. he wants to borrow one from his neighbor maggie.
  汤姆的割草机坏掉了。他想从邻居麦琪那里借一个。
  tom: hello, is there anyone in the room?
  汤姆:你好,有人在家吗?
  maggie: yes. oh, tom, can i be of any help to you?
  麦琪:是的。哦,汤姆,有什么事吗?
  tom: my lawn mower is out of order. could i borrow yours?
  汤姆:我的割草机坏了。我能借用一下你的吗?
  maggie: of course. please just wait for a short moment. it's in our storage. here you are.
  麦琪:当然可以。请稍等,割草机在库房里。给你。
  tom: thank you. i'll give it back as soon as i finish mowing the lawn in my garden.
  汤姆:谢谢。我一割完花园里的草就还给你。
  maggie: take your time.
  麦琪:不急。
  (an hour later)
  (一小时后)
  tom: thanks to your mower, my garden looks tidier and more beautiful now. thank you. here is your mower.
  汤姆:多亏了你的割草机,我的花园现在看起来整齐漂亮多了。谢谢。这是你的割草机。
  maggie: my pleasure.
  麦琪:别客气。
  tom: oh, i do not want to intrude since you are so busy. bye-bye.
  汤姆:哦,既然你那么忙,我就不打扰你了。再见。
  maggie: bye-bye.
  麦琪:再见。
  notes
  1. lawn [l?:n] n. 草坪,草地;n. 上等细麻布
  2. mower ['m?u?] n. 割草机;割草人
  3. out of order 无次序的,混乱的;有毛病的,出故障的
  4. storage ['st?:rid?] n. 保管,贮藏;仓库;保管费;lt;计gt;存储器
  5. take your time 从容做,不慌不忙
  6. intrude [in'tru:d] v. 闯入,侵入;打扰;干涉
  小贴士
  当你向别人借钱时可以说 can i bum some money off you? 或者 could you oblige me with some money? may i borrow a little mean green?(借给我点钱,好吗?)如果你不想借给别人钱,但又不好意思拒绝,可以说 i think i can swing that.(我想我应该能借给你一些吧。)如果你不想借给别人钱,可以说 i'm flat broke. i have neither cross nor pile. i have not a penny.(我身无分文)。